Tuesday, September 16, 2008

On the cusp of Day #79: SHARON RUNNER: "I won't override the veto"

Sac Bee CapitolAlert • Posted by Shane Goldmacher on September 16, 2008 5:37 PM

Republican Assemblywoman Sharon Runner, R-Lancaster, became the first lawmaker who voted for the budget to announce she will not vote to override the governor's veto.

Runner issued a statement late Tuesday saying she is "committed to finding a compromise which benefits Californians now and protects their future."

Here's Runner's statement in full:

"I voted in favor of the budget compromise proposal early this morning because Californians needed us to put an end to the stalemate and provide them with the services that have been long overdue. Even though this spending plan is not the best solution to California's budget shortfall, it is a step in the right direction as it has no tax increases and it begins to implement common-sense budget reforms.

"Although I voted for this budget, I stand with the Governor in his decision to utilize his veto power and I will not vote to support an override of his veto. I am committed to finding a compromise which benefits Californians now and protects their future. I welcome any suggestions by the Governor to make this not perfect budget even better and look forward to working with my fellow legislators to find a solution that all Californians deserve."

 

No comments: